“Who doesn’t like Red Lentil Dal – It’s everyone’s favorite. Lentils are a staple ingredient in cuisines from Indian Continent. Most of the dal recipes are simple and easy to cook as they get cooked in about 10 to 20 minutes and have sweet nutty flavour. It’s the best Red Lentil Curry Vegan and it’s easy to make.
Things to Remember
Soaking Lentils before cooking can drain some nutrients and flavor and is unnecessary as they cook relatively quickly. Many people will agree with me when I say that the best way to cook lentil is on slow flame as prolonged cooking time allows the lentils to fully release its flavors.
- 1/2 cup Red Lentil Dal
- 1 Finely chopped Tomato
- 1 Finely chopped Onion
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Chopped Garlic
- Red chili powder
- Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 Garcinia Indica
- Finely chopped Coriander leaves
Steps to cook:
- Rinse Red lentils with cold water then drain into a fine strainer.
- Put water in a medium pan add lentils, turmeric and Salt and simmer till the water is mostly absorbed and lentils become softer.
- While the lentils are cooking heat oil in another pan add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves and sizzle them add onions and stir fry.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and chopped garlic and stir fry.
- When lentils are soft, add them to the pan with the onions, tomatoes, garlic.
- If there isn’t any water left in the lentils add some more water. Add red chilli powder, Garcinia Indica or tamarind Pulp and Jaggery.
- Mix well and cook on medium heat for about 5-6 minutes
- Turn off the gas and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves
- It goes well with Indian Flatbreads and rice.