Lentils are the protein saviour for us vegans. Lentils are tremendously high in protein and especially split black lentil. Vegan lentil curry with rice is totally scrummy. Black Lentils hold their shape when cooked they don’t cook down into a mush like Red lentil.
Things to Remember
This Recipe calls for patience and the moment you try to rush there is a chance you might spoil the dish. It is also important to buy good quality lentils else it may spoil your dish. Lentils often have hidden stones tucked in between and so it is important to separate them before cooking.
- 3/4th cup split black lentil
- 1 medium sized chopped onion
- 2 finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. sun-dried fenugreek leaves
- 1tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4th tsp. turmeric powder
- 3/4th tsp. red chilli powder
- ½ tsp. coriander powder
- ¼ tsp. cumin powder
- Cooked rice
- Handful of minced Cilantro
Steps to cook:
- Soak Split black lentil in enough water for 6-8 hours.
- Drain off the water and transfer to a pressure cooker.
- Add some water and cook for 5 whistles.
- In a large pan heat oil and sauté bay leaf, cumin seeds and sun dried fenugreek leaves.
- Add chopped onions and ginger garlic paste and stir till the onion turns golden brown.
- Then add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and sauté till spices turn aromatic.
- Then add chopped tomatoes till it becomes soft and mushy.
- Add cooked black lentil and mix well also add some water as required.
- Cover with lid and allow it to cook on low flame.
- Garnish with Cilantro and serve hot with cooked rice.