Aubergine spinach Vegetarian curry is very popular among us vegans. Aubergines for the curry are grilled directly over an open flame until charred. This infuses smoky flavor in the aubergine. The smoky flavor makes it an extraordinary dish.
Things to Remember
Choose aubergine which are light in weight and do not remove the stems before roasting it will help in rotating the aubergine. Do not wash aubergine while removing the skin as by washing you will be losing the smoky flavor.
- 1 small bunch Spinach leaves
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2 green chilly finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Garam masala
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 medium Aubergine
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp asafoetida
- Finely chopped Cilantro
Steps to cook:
- Smear little oil on the aubergines and then prick aubergines with a thin blade knife and insert garlic cloves in it.
- On medium flame put the aubergine and roast it and keep turning it slowly over time to time till skin is blackened.
- When the aubergine is cool enough to handle peel away the black skin. Chop or mash in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds, asafoetida and chopped onions. Cook, stirring often until the onions turns golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green chilly and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked add Spinach leaves and mix well.
- Then add salt, garam masala, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, and coriander powder and cook for 5 minutes and then add mashed aubergines to the mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients well, add little water and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.