Mushrooms are the best ingredients that replace meat in every recipe which also attracts non-vegetarians. In the recipe which I recently tried, I also replaced meat with mushroom to make vegan mushroom wellington. Most recipes that I share with you guys are worth trying and are very easy to make. You can even serve this recipe to your family or friends on some special occasions as it tastes and is loved by all
Things to remember
You only need a few ingredients for this easy recipe. The three main ingredients are mushrooms, caramelized onions and roasted garlic (for flavour). You can also add some other ingredients of your choice like walnuts, pecans, rice, etc. you can even add some non-dairy products to make it better. If you only add mushrooms, you need not cook them but brown them instead. After preparing the filling, it is important to pat them dry otherwise the pastry can become soggy. To make your mushroom wellington impressive, you can add one piece of mushroom in the centre which will attract the guests for sure.
- Cooked rice
- Olive oil
- Peeled and chopped onions
- Garlic cloves
- Baby spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Twigs of thyme
- Chopped walnuts
- Dairy-free cheese
- Vegan puff pastry
- Plant-based milk
Steps to cook
- Start with the chopping of mushrooms.
- Heat some oil in the frying pan. Add the onions in the pan and fry them for 3-4 minutes, until they turn brown. Add mushrooms and season them with salt and pepper. Do not cook the mushrooms for more than 5 minutes.
- Put the mushrooms onto the kitchen paper to drain.
- Place the pan back on the heat with the remaining oil. Keep roasting the garlic for some more time. Add spinach to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Place the spinach into a large sieve and let it drain.
- Combine onions and fried mushrooms with cooked rice altogether. Add some seasonings for flavour. Add mustard and stir them all and keep in refrigerator to cool for some time.
Assemble the loaf:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Place the puff pastry sheet on the baking tray. Spread the spinach in the center of the pastry and leave the border at the edges.
- Place mushrooms on the top of spinach. Top with the remaining filling and thyme and press them together.
- To make a loaf, roll the pastry over the top of the filling. Seal the edges by pressing. Roll over the loaf so that the seams are at the bottom.
- Cut little slits using a sharp knife and bake the Wellington for 20-22 minutes until it turns golden and gets puffed.
- Serve and enjoy after baking.
Photo Credit and Inspiration @biancazapatka
Filling: Assemble the loaf:
Assemble the loaf: